Sunday, May 12, 2013

City of the Lost Plane

Headed back to school for finals week. Here's something I wrote on the plane today. Just because.

The drone of the prop engines is only
half blocked out by my skull candies
My seat was the aisle one
But I moved over to the empty 
window seat beside me

I can't complain about life now
I'm looking out and down at the world
Landscapes change as we fly
Trees and clouds
now flat and blue sky

From here everything looks perfect 
in an asymmetric way
But I never would know it unless 
I saw it from here

I'm thinking back to before take off
When the flight attendant 
was performing the familiar chant 
about safety and such

I heard the muffled chuckles from 
the one couple who were actually listening to her
"in the event of a water landing..."

Then the awkward silence when they
realized they were the only ones who
found it amusing today

This isn't Southwest

In the event of a need to land on water
our main options would be the reservoir 
or crater lake 
I'm not relieved or afraid at the thought
I will have my seat cushion for 
a floatation device

I don't know what song to listen to
The buzz is annoying
And it doesn't help that my row
is underneath the wing
close to the propeller

We're starting to go down now and I
think I'll just stay up here
Escape the landing

We could fly away
Make our own existence
Name it whatever we want
City of the lost plane or something

the wheels are down
I have to turn off my electronic device 


1 comment:

  1. Interestingly abstractly you. Makes me miss you. Inspires me to write.

    ReplyDelete